Monday, August 19, 2013

The Heaven Won't Stop Weeping


I am writing this blog inside my car hoping that the rain would give me a reprieve now that I have been stuck here not moving, hungry and extremely worried than tired for almost five hours now.

My twitter feed said that C5 was ok so I decided to drive back home only to meet a heavy downpour a fraction through my travel. The horrors of last year's Habagat not only was resurrected but this time reincarnated with a vengeance.

Prior to this I read a joke posted on twitter saying that the rains were paid for by Napoles as a distraction so Pinoys have something to talk about aside from her and her business partners at the Senate and Congress.

Then it dawned on me, that 10 billion pesos could have gone a long way in terms of flood control initiatives had it went to the right hands. Then I became sad more than worried.

If you could still remember, analysts during Ondoy time, were saying that such a catastrophe only happens once every few decades but as we have seen and experienced now- that is no longer the case.

Sure you can blame it on climate change but by blaming climate change you are confronted with the ultimate question- what are you gonna do about it?

What has really changed after Ondoy? What has changed after last year's Habagat incident? Barely anything.

The Metro Manila remains to be a disorganized and unprepared urban area devoid of any solid and concrete flood prevention and control infrastructure, just waiting for the perfect storm or monsoon to happen so it can turn itself into a water world.

So unless something is drastically changed I guess it is a gruesome fact that millions of Filipino people would suffer every year. Yes, as you can see the problem is not just contained in the Metro Manila, as years go by many cities and developing municipalities across the country would become acquainted with this annual tragedy.

And no, do not thank the governor or the mayor if he wakes up early to declare that the class is suspended or that they have given away a truck of relief goods. We deserve better leaders than that.

You see people like me and you are stranded at the road because we came to work and like all law abiding citizens of this country we pay our taxes with eyes closed twice each month.

So it is both infuriating and frustrating just thinking that the hard earned money went to the pockets of the likes of Napoles and Satan's minions at the halls  Congress and Senate.

But as I sit here not knowing when the rains would stop or what time I'd be able to go home I was reminded of a facebook post I made a few weeks ago:

'Patience is not the ability to wait but the ability to keep the right attitude while waiting'

And as I ponder on that principle I entertained myself with happy thoughts and started calling people that I love and is close to my heart and my heart was filled with gratitude and joy knowing that somehow, someway I will be home today.

The sad thing is, the same cannot be said about our leaders and the tragedy that is Metro Manila at this time of the year, each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment